The Local History Gallery

A growing collection of images and historical
dialog about the White Lake area &
surrounding W. Michigan

Website & Imaging: Jerry Grady     Research: Barb Brow



Trails Meet Ferry



Trails Meet Ferry

In March 1926, permission was granted to Thomas Breen of this area to construct a drop-cable ferry which would connect Lau Road on the north with Murray’s Inn on the south side of the channel on the west end of White Lake. It was not until 1928 that the ferry “Trails Meet” was operational.

The ferry was 20 by 40 feet in outside dimensions and had a depth of about 3 1/2 feet. The power was supplied by a 40-horse power, four cylinder gasoline engine located under the deck, and the propelling of the craft was by a five-eight inch steel cables tension adjusted by a winch. It could carry up to four cars at a time and passengers. It is reported that it took just seven minutes to load up, make the trip across and unload, which is certainly quicker than driving all the way around the lake.

The price for one car and its driver was 25 cents. It cost 10 cents apiece for passengers. (Twenty-five cents in 1928 would be a little over $3.50 in 2018.)

The first year, the ferry was operated by owner Robert Deyman, nephew of Thomas Breen, and Robert’s nephew Herb Paeth. Robert’s brother James also worked the ferry.

From 1928 to 1941, the two brothers, James and Robert Deyman, operated ferry. When it first started operating, it ran from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m. daily except on Saturday nights when it operated until 1 a.m. on Sunday morning. It primarily operated from June thru August to service the tourist trade. In June 1935, owner Robert Deyman began 24 hour service across the channel and the ferry was going to operate until October 15. In 1934 it was reported that some 2,500 cars used the ferry.

Robert Deyman died in 1942, and that was the end of the Trails Meet.