The Local History
|A Montague Family Album
This is in the area of where the parking lot at Medbery Park is now. The little white building was on the corner of the fenced area of the Coast Guard Station. The channel wall is now made of concrete which was done in 1936. The Coast Guard station and all buildings associated with it were removed between 1945-47. There were several small cottages along the channel wall. Isn't known who they originally belonged to.
After changing from shipping out lumber to bring in passengers, the channel received very little attention repair wise. After a 20 year fight to keep the government from abandoning the harbor altogether, as had been recommended numerous times. Repair work finally started on the very dilapidated channel walls in the Spring of 1928
Ohrenberger Solon 1905
|The Montague Observer on March 27,1930
BACK TO CONTENTS