The Local History Gallery
For the White Lake Area

Website & Imaging: Jerry Grady     Research: Barb Brow


Clarence Resort



In May 1913, Mr. & Mrs. John Capek and their young son Clarence arrived from Chicago to take possession of their new summer hotel in Maple Grove known as “Clarence Resort”. Located on the north side of White Lake in Montague, it offered guests a fine private beach, boating facilities, and good fishing. It was equipped with electric lights and had all the modern conveniences. Rates were very reasonable, for either long or short reservations. The Clarence Resort was famous for its delicious food and comfortable accommodations.

In 1921 a large 32 x 60 foot annex was built a few steps from the original hotel, which contained an additional 15 furnished bedrooms and two bathrooms on the second floor over a spacious ballroom and balcony on the main level. All 30 rooms were outside rooms with hot and cold running water.

John Capek was a tailor by trade and operated a tailor shop in town during the off season. He died in 1938. Mrs. Anna Capek continued to run the Resort. In September 1944, Anna Capek married Ira Flagstad.

In June 1946 it was announced that Anna Capek Flagstad had sold Clarence Resort to Mr. & Mrs. Charles R. Wolfe of Chicago. The name of the resort was then changed to Edgewater House. The facility advertised as having 12 rooms and a three-room cottage. It is not known how long it operated as a resort, as no other ads or mention of it appeared in the local newspapers.

Then in May 1971, it was written that Mr. & Mrs. Ray Stevens and Mr. & Mrs. Walter Kozicki had purchased the former Capek Resort/Edgewater House from Mr. & Mrs. James Matthews. Not sure when Matthews’ purchased it. It is presumed that it had become a private home, and continues that way to this day.