The Local History Gallery
For the White Lake Area

Website & Imaging: Jerry Grady     Research: Barb Brow

Old Channel Inn


In the early 1920s, the Lloyd family built a one story restaurant with an open air porch on the south end.

Addis Lloyd and his second wife Sarah operated the Old Channel Inn until 1933 when Addis died. Sarah continued to operate the Inn until 1935.


The main floor was added to with owners living in some parts of it. During the 1930s, a second floor was added. Over the years, the usage of the second floor changed from vacation rentals to an owner’s apartment.

Irving Lloyd inherited the Inn and rented it to various parties until 1940 when he remodeled the Inn and lived it in as a private residence until 1945.

The fieldstone fireplace was added as well as pine paneling in the living room.

Accommodations for 20 were available and home cooking was featured. Sunday and special dinners were served by appointment.

George Meyers became the Proprietor of ”Ye Olde Channel Inn” from 1936-1939.



In 1945, Mr. & Mrs. Louis Zaborsky occupied the Old Channel Inn as their home for 3 years before moving to St. Ignace, after which the building sat idle.



Carl and Erma Pratcher purchased the Inn from Zaborsky’s in 1952. They opened the Inn following some redecorating and had 8 sleeping rooms available, all with running water, which could accommodate 16 guests. They secured a Class “A” Hotel license which enables them to serve beer and wine on the premises. They also had a “take out” license.


June 25, 1953

July 9, 1953

1952-53 ca

Myrtle Nichols-Bloomquist purchased the Inn from Erma Pratcher in 1967 and operated it until 1971. A bar was installed and the partition between the two front rooms was removed to make room for tables for customers.

In November 1970, Gerald “Gerry” Groner purchased the Inn from Mrs. Bloomquist. He operated it until 1976.



March 25, 1971                                        December 28, 1972


Wayne Lynch purchased the Old Channel inn in 1976 and operated it until 1985.

New owners Mike Kelly and Doug Hanna took over the business in April 1985. The transition was a smooth one as the existing staff was retained: Shirley Wonders was the Manager; waitresses were: Diane Burel, Sandy Wackernagel, Sandy Veltman, Wanda Lehman and Melissa Lorenz. The kitchen staff was: Kristy Anderson, Sherri Chalmers, Janet Kittridge and Linda Roesler. Owners Mike Kelly tended bar and Doug Hanna cooked.

From 1989 until 2017, Kirk and Cheryl Davidson were at the helm of the Old Channel Inn.

The currents owners, who took over in September 2017, are Erich and Trish Schroeder.


                          2017 ca                                                                      January 30, 2019 – Courtesy of Martha Strecker Sadony